God and Bob would probably talk for days..

“IF YOU WATCHED a movie about a guy who wanted a Volvo and worked for years and years to get it, you wouldn’t cry at the end when he drove off the lot, testing the windshield wipers. You wouldn’t tell your friends you saw a beautiful movie or go home and put a record on to think about the story you’d seen. The truth is, you wouldn’t remember that movie a week later, except you’d feel robbed and want your money back. (been there! Ha) Nobody cries at the end of a movie about a guy who wants a Volvo. ...But we spend YEARS actually living those stories, and expect our lives to feel meaningful. The truth is, if what we choose to do with our lives wont make a story meaningful, it wont make a life meaningful either…”

In my flight back from Rocklin CA to Denver, I began reading Donald Miller’s book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years and I’m finding I already want to be done with it!
...No, NOT because its bad, but because its so compelling!!

I wish I had a photographic memory so I could read the whole thing and then re-read it to remember it over again and again :-D

Im not going to ruin any of it for you, other than share some of the reviews on it… then Ill let you choose for yourself if you’ll pick up a copy ;) & so, I’ve included the first couple paragraphs in ch1, below to get a glimpse of his writing, but that doesn’t begin to cover the broadness of it… he’s funny yet cynical & totally real! Think this could be another hit on NYT’s list

"In his funny, self depreciating style Donald Miller is sometimes painfully honest about his life ‘unedited,’ his weaknesses and his faith… and that’s all I ever choose to read.” - Tony Hale, Actor, Chuck and Arrested Development

“If someone tells you they’ve read this book and they ‘enjoyed it’ or they ‘liked it’ or they think it’s a ‘good book’ then maybe they didn’t read it – its well written and funny and interesting and all that, but its also disturbing. Really, really disturbing. Don is into provocative territory here, wrestling with The Story and the role each our stories play in it. . . this is very convicting, powerful, unsettling writing. I felt like this book read me more than I read it. “ – Rob Bell, Author of Velvet Elvis

“I love Donald Miller. He is a man after my own heart” - Anne Lamott, New York Times best selling author of Traveling Mercies, Grace(Eventually), and Bird by Bird

“Readers who loved 'Blue Like Jazz' will find here a somewhat more mature Miler, still funny as hell but more concerned about making a difference in the world than in merely commenting on it” – Publishers Weekly

Chapter one. Random Scenes...
“The saddest thing about life is you don’t remember half of it. You don’t even remember half of it. Not even one tiny percentage, if you want to know the truth. Ive got this friend Bob who writes down everything he remembers. If he remembers dropping an ice cream cone on his lap when he was seven, he’ll write it down. The last time I talked to Bob, he had written more than five hundred pages of memories. Hes the only guy I know who remembers his life. He said he captures memories because if he forgets them, its as though they didn’t happen, its as though he hadn’t lived the parts he doesn’t remember. I thought about that when he said it, and I tried to remember something, and I remembered getting a merit badge in Cub Scouts when I was seven, but that’s all I could remember. I got it for helping a neighbor cut down a tree and got a badge for it. Ill tell that to God when he asks what I did with my life. Ill tell him I cut down a tree and got a badge for it. He’ll most likely want to see the merit badge, but I lost it years ago and so when Im done with my story God will probably sit there looking at me wondering what to talk about next. God and Bob will probably talk for days” I thought about that when he said it, and I tried to remember something, and I remembered getting a merit badge in Cub Scouts when I was seven, but that’s all I could remember. I got it for helping a neighbor cut down a tree and got a badge for it. Ill tell that to God when he asks what I did with my life. Ill tell him I cut down a tree and got a badge for it. He’ll most likely want to see the merit badge, but I lost it years ago and so when Im done with my story God will probably sit there looking at me wondering what to talk about next. God and Bob will probably talk for days...”

thoughts?
comments?
intrigue? ...maybe you should just read it;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current reality...

reversing the tide....