Your permission to Dream!

The Birth of Jesus Foretold 
26 In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God.


Have you ever stopped to think about the birth of Jesus predicted?  I mean, how troubling that must have been for a teenage girl to hear from a so called "angel" that she was going to have a baby and he would save the world just because she had favor with God?  I'm pretty sure I would have been unsettled for days wondering if I was seeing things, hearing voices, or straight up crazy.  It says Mary was greatly troubled, so I wonder what thoughts she had mulled over, how scared or upset she was at first and when she decided to rest in the peace God would extend her.  While Mary eventually rested in the assurance of knowing God's promises and his favor was resting upon her,  I highly doubt before the angel visited her that night, that she even thought about pregnancy or what it would be like to have her own family as a teen.  She was probably in the stage of "I wonder what marriage will be like!?!?" in awe and wonder, and a bit of nerves.  

If I were honest today, there's times and seasons I've completely let the story of Mary and Joseph slip right by during the holiday season. They had heard from God directly through the audible voice of an angel that HE SENT to tell them of their future.  And yet, then I find that often times I'm begging God to give me glimpses into my future.  What will my career look like? Where will I settle down to start a family?  What does my husband look like? Is he tall? I know he loves Jesus, but does he love to snowboard or surf? Will he learn if he doesn't?  Does he love people as much as I do? What is he called to? 

Into my 30s I've had my fair share of heartbreak.  I've dated men before I could have ended up with and actually I bet I would have been somewhat happy, but I knew they weren't God's best.  Then there was the one guy who I actually talked marriage with!  He was "IT" I thought.  The very one I had been created for; the reason I was single most of my twenties!  But sadly that tragically ended with a morning phone call out of the blue to break things off (we had dated long distance and the night before were saying I Love you on the phone, but in the next day's conversation; I was floored.) Without a viable explanation as to why, my entire world was shattered in the matter of minutes.  
A puddle of tears on the ground, I could barely talk as I called my mom to ask her to cancel my doctors appointment that day.  All the questions started to surface; How is this real life? Why didn't I see the signs?  Was God really not in this?  The hopes of starting a family. Moving somewhere together. Impacting God's kingdom with our gifts and talents.  -- ALL of it; stripped away in a moment and I was broken.  

Months would go by where I would eventually start to laugh again, and enjoy things of life.  My nights were encompassed with non-stop music to soothe my mind as it raced with demons trying to taunt me of what I could've done to save the relationship or how I would never be loved again.  BUT a day at a time and I eventually healed.  Now today, I would still never wish that upon ANYONE to ever walk through, but I can say my heart healed. Praise Jesus! And wow, did I learn a lot.  Even to this day believe the Lord was protecting me from something so deep I wouldn't have a clue how to handle.

So, I've dated since then and have even fallen in love with another guy who was precious.  In the end, while wanting to fight for it; the Lord showed us both it wasn't working and we decided it was ultimately not a good fit.  Now, although I cannot tell you exact reasons why what seemed like such a great fit with the guy I talked marriage wasn't,  or how I could fall in love with someone perhaps not the best fit, I do know God allowed these relationships and heartbreaks for a reason.  
And today, I am still not married; BUT since my earlier devastating relationship ending, I can say the things I've gotten to experience along the way have been unlike any other journey!  God IS IN IT and He has a plan. I believe it is for GOOD.  

In 2011 after our breakup, I was given a verse and perhaps it will encourage you too!  Ephesians 3:20 says; "he could do immeasurably more than ALL we could ask or imagine through the power working within you..."  and this I have held onto being my permission to dream!!!  (Not just for the perfect fit of a marriage, but even within my career and pursuits of my calling) You see I DO long for marriage, but I also do single really well, so I'm not just going to fall for anyone that will do. 
Part of my dreaming and being allowed to dream for the man he's created me to be with has to do with God has speaking into my life regarding my calling to tell stories and I believe he is molding the perfect fit for me - for marriage, for work/life balance, for our passions to collide, and for kingdom impact even!  

Ephesians 3:20 GIVES US PERMISSION TO DREAM!  Did you read the verse? Did you really stop to read what it says and the impact that has on us!?!  It says He can do IMMEASURABLY MORE than we can even ask for, think of, imagine, wrap our brains around, etc.... 

I believe God is a God of redeeming all things and this includes my story! Im thankful to see his hand working right now and have already seen some unbelievable things.  He continues to show me HE LOVES ME and how faithful HE is in our journey when we trust him and his timing. 

I'm not sure where you're at in your journey, but I do believe his plans are for good, because you LOVE him, and you're called into his purpose, so you can trust him to be at work in your life and you can start to dream about that perfect fit and trust that he will bring him into your life just when HIS TIMING is perfect. And in the mean time; try not to stay home and eat bonbons waiting ;) but be the amazing and totally awesome Godly girl he's called you into being and wait for the vision to be fulfilled WHILE you are LIVING!!!! It will come and not delay; you just have to wait for it to unfold my sweet one.  


PS.... Ill be waiting too;)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current reality...

reversing the tide....